Veggie Pot Pie
5 small red or white skinned potatoes; approx. 500gr
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup broccoli florets (thawed if frozen)
1 cup thinly slice celery
1 cup chopped onion
½ cup of chopped leeks
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
½ teaspoon (2 mL) dried sage, crumbled
Salt and ground pepper to taste
Basic Biscuit Crust:
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. margarine
3/4 cup So Good Original soy beverage 2 tsp. honey
**You can substitute a pastry or puff pastry crust for the biscuit dough. Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°F). Grease an 8-inch cast-iron skillet or 10-inch deep-dish glass or ceramic plate.
2. In large pot of boiling water, boil potatoes until tender. Drain and let cool to the touch. Peel potatoes if desired and cut into pieces.
3. In heavy saucepan, heat ½ cup stock over medium-high heat. Add onion and leek and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add celery, carrot, broccoli and peas. Add 1/4 cup additional vegetable stock should the mixture dry out. Stir on stove up for 3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. In glass measuring cup, combine soy beverage and remaining 2 cups vegetable stock. Slowly add to vegetable mixture while whisking constantly. Sauce will begin to thicken. Add parsley, salt, thyme, sage, pepper and garlic. Cook until filling is thickened; stir constantly. Remove from heat, transfer mixture to greased casserole dish and set aside.
Biscuit topping Crust:
1. In large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cut margarine into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal using a pastry blender or fork.
2. In measuring cup, combine soy beverage and honey. Add liquid to above flour mixture, stirring with a fork to form stiff dough. Add more soy beverage should it be too dry. Knead lightly in bowl until dough is no longer sticky. Place onto lightly floured surface. Roll out into shape to cover casserole dish.
3. Lay biscuit topping crust lightly over filling. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, approx. 30 minutes.
email this recipe to a friend»